If you want to fit a recipe into your Keto and Paleo diet, then go for the Vietnamese Pho soup. It is a traditional soup made with beef and noodles. If you have tasted this low carb pho in a restaurant, it is high time that you learn to make it at home. Be it a get-together or simple Sunday dinner, no recipe can beat the taste and richness of Vietnamese Pho.
Recipe Of Vietnamese Low Carb Pho
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 1 hour
Serving – 8
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Fresh ginger – 2 inches, sliced
- Onion – 1, peeled and cut into quartered pieces
- Garlic – 5 cloves, crushed
- Cinnamon sticks – 5
- Whole star anise – 3
- Cloves – 10
- Cardamom pods – 4, crushed
- Water – 12 cups
- Beef broth – 2 cups
- Fish sauce – 2 tbsp (choose the gluten-free variety)
- Palm sugar – 1 tbsp (you can avoid using it if you are following Keto diet)
- Flank steak – 1 pound
- Shirataki noodles – 1 pound
- Jalapenos – 2, cut into slices
- Bean sprouts – 4 ounces
- Basil leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Lime – 1, cut into wedges
How To Make Low Carb Pho
- Take a stockpot and put it on the oven. Add the coconut oil, and as the oil becomes hot, add the onion pieces followed by ginger slices and crushed garlic. Sauté them till the onions are brown and add the cinnamon stick, star anise, crushed cardamom, and cloves.
- Stir the whole spices for a few minutes and pour the water. Add fish sauce, beef broth as well as sugar. As the broth starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it cook on low heat for about an hour. Fish sauce acts as an aroma enhancer. So, do not forget to add it.
- In the meantime, take the flank steak and flash-freeze it for around half an hour. Cut it into paper-thin slices.
- Take a skimmer and take out all the onions and whole spices from the broth. Add the noodles to it and let it cook following the instructions written on the packet. When done, switch off the heat. Add the slices of beef and let it cook in the hot broth.
- As you are not boiling the broth after adding the beef slices, make sure that they are sliced very thinly so that they cook well enough in the hot broth.
Serving The Low Carb Pho
On the serving plate, add the bean sprouts, lime wedges, fresh chopped basil, and jalapeno slices. Pour the soup and serve hot. You can garnish it with various fresh veggies depending on the choice of the eater.
Some Points To Remember
- Can’t you find Shirataki noodles in the store? No problem! You can use raw zucchini noodles to make the Pho.
- If you are not much bothered about carb, then you can use rice noodles.
- It is better to simmer the broth for a longer time. The longer the time, the better the taste and aroma. Sometimes, people make the broth one day ahead to intensify the flavor. The next day, they add the noodles as well as beef slices.