One of the famous recipes from Vietnam, Cha Ca gives your taste buds a heavenly feel that you can’t forget even after days. Thus, it is better to learn to make this impressive dish in your home. You can fulfill your craving whenever you want.
Making Cha Ca In Home
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Marinating time – 3 hours
- Codfish fillets – 750 gm, fillet size should be 1 ½ inch each
- Ginger – 3 tsp, chopped
- Red shallots – 3, chopped
- Garlic – 4, minced
- Rice flour – 90 gm
- Rice noodles – 375 gm, thin variety
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper powder – to taste
- Fish sauce – 90 ml
- Roasted peanuts – 160 gm, unsalted and chopped
- Onions – 1, sliced
- Dill – 2 bunches, coarsely chopped
- Spring onions – 8, half cut into cubes and remaining half sliced
- Turmeric powder – 2 ¾ tsp
For Making The Sauce
- Mam nem – 80 ml
- Garlic – 3 cloves, paste
- Caster sugar – 1 tbsp
- Fish sauce – 2 tbsp
- Lime juice – 2 tbsp
- Red chilies – 2, finely chopped
- Pineapple flesh – 100 gm, finely chopped
- Lemongrass stem – 1, chopped, only the white part
Marinating The Fish Fillets
Take a big bowl and add the fillets and sprinkle some salt and black pepper powder. Mix well. Now add the minced garlic, half of the turmeric powder, shallots, fish sauce and chopped ginger in the bowl and mix with the fillets properly. Cover the bowl and keep it aside for 3 hours.
Making The Sauce
While your fish is being marinated, you start making the sauce. For that, you need to put mam nem, sugar, fish sauce, pineapple, lemongrass, red chilies, lime juice, and garlic in a bowl and mix thoroughly until all the sugar dissolves and you get a smooth sauce. When done, keep it aside.
Preparing The Noodles
- Put a large pot of water on high heat and as the water starts to boil, add the rice noodles. Let it boil for around 3 minutes. When soft, get rid of the excess water. Make sure you do not overcook the noodles.
- In another bowl, add the remaining turmeric powder and rice flour. Mix them. Now take each marinated fish fillet and coat with the rice flour. When all the pieces are coated, keep them on a plate.
- Place a skillet on medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cubed spring onions along with half of the dills. Fry them till both are soft. Take them out in a bowl.
- Put the fish fillets in the skillet in one layer and let them cook thoroughly. Cook on both sides and when done, pour the onion mixture back in the skillet. Sprinkle the leftover chopped dill and stir well.
Serving The Noodle
- Now take four bowls for serving and divide the noodles in each. Add the prepared fish on top of the noodles in each bowl and sprinkle the roasted peanuts and sliced spring onions over the fish.
- Pour the prepared sauce in 4 small bowls and serve with the noodle dish.
So, dedicate this weekend to Cha Ca. Make this delicious recipe and feel the bliss.