Pancakes we all like, and we have the different sizes and tastes. But have you ever had tiny pancakes with shrimp along with a spicy dip and that too from Vietnam? No! Do you want to taste this mini-sized powerhouse of flavor? Then get ready and note down the ingredients of banh khot and recipe.
Make them in your home today itself and devour the yummy rice pancakes.
Making Rice Mini Pancakes – Banh Khot
- Mixed Banh khot flour – 600 gm
- Shrimp – 10, deveined as well as peeled
- Coconut milk – 1 can
- Water – 1 ½ cups
- Hulled mung bean – ½ cup
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Minced garlic – 1 clove
- Spring onions – 3, chopped
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- For Wrapping
- Romaine lettuce – 5-6
- Mustard leaves – 5 – 6
- Fresh perilla and basil herb – 5-6
- For Garnishing
- Vietnamese mint leaves – a handful, chopped
- Fresh coriander – a handful, chopped
Directions For Making Banh Khot
- Take a bowl and add the flour. Pour the coconut milk and water and mix them very well so that you get a smooth paste.
- Add the turmeric and salt and some of the chopped spring onions and give them a good mix.
- Put a skillet on medium heat and add some of the oil. In the hot oil, add the shrimp. Chop the shrimp before cooking. Add the minced garlic, remaining spring onions, and a little salt and fry them for a few minutes. When done, keep them aside.
- Now take a banh khot pan and coat each groove with the remaining oil. Put it on heat and make sure the oil is super hot. Pour a ladleful of the batter in each groove and let it cook for a few minutes before adding the cooked shrimp in each. Cover them and let it cook for a few minutes more so that all the pancakes get cooked well and the sides become crispy.
- When done, take them out and garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves for adding the freshness.
- Now wrap each pancake in your desired leaf to give it an attractive appearance as well as taste and have a bite and immerse yourself in the ocean of flavor.
- If you do not get banh khot flour mix in the market, you can mix 500 gm rice flour with 100 gm of glutinous rice flour. This mixed flour will give you the same result.
You can make a sauce to dip each of these wrapped pancakes to make them extra savory.
Preparing The Dip For Banh Khot
- Water – ½ cup
- Lime juice – 1/2
- Sugar – 2 tsp (you can add more if you like sweetness)
- Fish sauce – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 clove, chopped
- Red chili – 2, chopped
Take a bowl and add the water along with sugar and lime juice. Keep stirring them so that the sugar gets dissolved completely. Now add the fish sauce, chopped garlic, and red chilies to give it the spicy punch. Mix very well. Your savory dip is ready. Pour in small bowl; place it on a plate just beside the hot pancakes and have a bit to feel the heaven in your mouth.